Your Student House-Hunting-Checklist
We know how stressful it can be come “student house hunting season’. So to help you along the way, we’ve created a house-hunting checklist, which you can take when viewing properties to make it easier for you to decide if the student house or flat is right for you.
GENERAL CONDITION OF THE PROPERTY
- Is the exterior of the property in good repair?
- Is there double glazing and are the windows in good condition?
- Are inside walls free from damp, mould and cracks?
- Is there adequate heating in all rooms?
- Are there sufficient electrical sockets in each room?
- Are there adequate facilities and communal space for the number of people sharing?
- Do bedroom sizes meet the everyone's expectations?
- Do you know what furniture / appliances are?
SAFETY AND SECURITY
- Is there a current gas safety record for the house?
- Is there any working fire detection equipment such as smoke alarms, and firefighting equipment such as fire blanket/extinguisher in kitchen, etc?
- Is there adequate security - locks, burglar alarm?
- What is the rent, how is it paid?
- Are the bills included?
- How much is the deposit, and in which scheme is it protected?
- Does the landlord intend to carry out any improvements/repairs before you move in?
- Will there be any rent reduction over summer?
QUESTIONS TO ASK CURRENT TENANTS
- Are they happy with the state of the property?
- Do they consider the landlord to be professional and get repairs done quickly?
- Do they like living in the property?
- Why are they leaving?
If you have any other suggestions of questions that need to be on a good “house-hunting checklist”, feel free to message us !